Instruction: Enter your name and course.
Instruction: Click on a radio button to choose the best item, as listed, for each of the following. Then, click the SUBMIT button.
1. (1 point) Rank these three types of resources in order (left to right) from most current information to least current information.
Books, newspapers, magazinesMagazines, newspapers, booksNewspapers, magazines, books
2. (1 point) From this initial list of search results in the OSU library catalog, which of the following can you answer about the books?
If the book contains a bibliographyAn impression about the nature of the material based on the author's title wordsIf the book is currently available for checkout
3. (1 point) Which of these strategies to find related materials is NOT possible with the click of a mouse while you are looking at a record in the library catalog?
Use the bibliography published in each book to see what sources the author usedFind out if this library has other books this author has publishedFind other records for books shelved near this book in the libraryUse the LC Subject Headings to search for other materials on the same subject
4. (1 point) Answer this question and the next from the library catalog record for a book below. True/False: This book contains a bibliography for further reading.
5. (1 point) Using the library catalog record in the previous question, which pair of fields will be most useful for finding other materials related to the same topic as this book?
Author and DescriptSubj., lc and AuthorSubj., lc and ISBN
6. (1 point) One strategy for evaluating a Web page is to "backtrack" using the domain name in the URL. How can this be helpful?
If the home page is at a college or university, you can be absolutely sure the information is validIf the home page is at a commercial site, you can be sure that the site is only trying to sell something so it is probably not usefulIf the home page is for an entity (organization, institution, etc.) likely to be producing or sponsoring authoritative information on the topic, the information may be valid.
7. (1 point) Which of these criteria is most helpful in evaluating the credibility of a Web site?
How often the page has been accessed according to its counterQuality of the page design and graphicsWho published the page and their purpose
8. (1 point) Besides using key words to describe your subject in search engines, which of these strategies are suggested for finding useful information on the Web?
Identify authors who have written on your topic and search for their namesIdentify agencies and organizations important to your topic, find their Web sites and search WITHIN those Web sites for informationUse sites that are maintained by people who have applied evaluative criteria to pre-select sites by topicAll of these were suggested.
9. (1 point) Which of the following is NOT an important criteria for evaluation of the materials you need?
Timeliness of informationIntended audience of the materialYou can understand the materialAll of these are important
10. (1 point) Which of the following is the magazine or journal title in this citation?
Call of the WildAir Force TimesCastellon, David
11. (1 point) The second level of evaluation in an article database:
Takes place as you look at the list of retrieved citationsHappens when you examine the citation and abstract or text for each item you select from your results listTakes place when you use the information you now have to find other articles on your topic