- Letter from LP to Victor Reynolds, Cornell University Press, RE: LP feels that he won't be able to complete the manuscript for the third edition of his book by the fall of 1954, and apologizes for being unable to adhere to the schedule he laid out. [Filed under: LP Manuscripts of Books, 1960b.5.2]
- AHP writes cheque to: Arthur Heimann and Sons amount $1.30 [Filed under LP Biographical: Box #4.022, Folder #2]
- AHP writes cheque to: Crellin Pauling amount $50.00 [Filed under LP Biographical: Box #4.022, Folder #2]
- AHP writes cheque to: First Unitarian Church of Los Angeles amount $25.00 [Filed under LP Biographical: Box #4.022, Folder #2]
- AHP writes cheque to: Robert Faig, Treasurer, National Child Labor Committee amount $5.00 [Filed under LP Biographical: Box #4.022, Folder #2]
- Letter from G. W. Wheland to LP RE: Asks LP if he may dedicate his new edition of The Theory of Resonance to him [LP's reply May 4, 1954] [Filed under W: Individual Correspondence, Box #434.7]
- Letter from LP to AHP. [Filed under LP Safe: Box #1.021, Folder 21.13]
I have been counting up the time on this trip - away from you - I wish that you were with me. It is like valences resonating among the 12 bonds in closest packing: there are twelve days to go by, & after one day 1/12 was over, after two days 1/6, after three 1/4 (now); tomorrow 1/3, then 5/12, and on Saturday 1/2. Then 5/12 to go, 1/3, 1/4, 1/6, 1/12 - and home again!
The air trips to Dallas on Sunday and to Philadelphia yesterday were fine. The desert mountains, plains were beautiful - without you to talk to, I looked out a great deal. No one sat with me on either trip.
The stay with Ogden Baine in Sou. Meth. U. was well worth while. He made some excellent suggestions about revising Col. Chem. Sunday night there was a dinner at his house; the Slobads were there - we had gone to their house 3 years ago after my talk. Monday evening I gave a talk at Baylor Hospital on abnormal hemoglobins. Dr. Smith said that their work was
in the field of molecular medicine, which would in the future probably be attributed to me as its originator.
Yesterday I registered here, & then took the train to Wilmington, recorded a radio broadcast, had dinner (saw Billmeyer, Blaker, [?] his wife, who worked for Dr Corey, Dr Mosher (from Salem)), gave my talk, and caught the 9:42 PM back to Philadelphia. A man who got on the train at the same time spoke to me, saying that he was a chemist, & had worked at cancer research with Dr Creech here. He talked to me, about my 1940 antibody paper, during the half-hour trip.
There is something new in customer relations at the Benjamin Franklin. The waitress (the nice looking one who often serves us) this morning said to me "Here's your waffle, honey."
I must go soon to the APS Council meeting.
- Letter from LP to Abe Fadem RE: Response to Fadem's letter of April 21, 1954 citing carbon monoxide as a health hazard and requesting LP and Itano to work against it. LP agrees that more work should be done to determine the extent of the dangers of carbon monoxide. [Abe Fadem's letter February 21, 1954] [Filed under F Correspondence, Box #128.19]
- Letter from LP to Capt. Jack Mayer RE: LP has not done any work on filter paper electrophoresis and so cannot help Mayer determine a correction factor that might be applied. [Mayer's letter March 20, 1954] [Filed under M: Correspondence 1954, Box #256.5]
- Letter from LP to D. O. Jordan, Chemistry Dept., University of Adelaide RE: LP provides a good reference for Dr. Ralph Spitzer [Jordan's letter to LP April 5, 1954] [LP Biographical: Box 2.034, Folder 34.4]
- Letter from LP to Dr. Donald D. Wagman RE: Thanking him for his letter about the values of the heat of sublimation of boron in the NBS 500 Circular [Wagman's letter March 10, 1954] [Filed under W: Correspondence 1954, Box #444.2]
- Letter from LP to Dr. Lisehner RE: Encloses a copy of his talk "The World Problem and the Hydrogen Bomb," and gives permission to publish it if in full. [Filed under LP Speeches: 1954s.1]
- Letter from LP to Easibind RE: Requesting binders for a set of Endeavour. [Filed under E Correspondence 1954, Box #112.20]
- Letter from LP to F. G. Soper, Vice-Chancellor, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand RE: LP gives a good reference for Dr. Ralph Spitzer and hopes that he will be taken in serious consideration for the Chair of the Chemistry Dept. at the University of Otago. [Soper's letter to LP March 19, 1954] [LP Biographical: Box 2.034, Folder 34.4]
- Letter from LP to Friedrich Cramer RE: Thank you note for sending a copy of inclusion compounds booklet, suggestion to read LP and Dr. Marsh's paper on gas hydrates. [Note from Friedrich Cramer to LP, reply from LP to Cramer April 21, 1954] [Filed under C: Correspondence, 1954 Box #74.22].
- Letter from LP to Michael Hoch RE: Thanks for calculations in letter of March 9, 1954; LP has prepared a paper about heats of sublimation and bond energies for the Debye Symposium Series in the Journal of Physical Chemistry. [Hoch's letter March 9, 1954] [Filed under H Correspondence 1954, Box #166.5]