- Letter from LP to Dr. E.U. Condon. [Filed under LP Correspondence: Box #67.5, file:(Condon, E. U., 1935-1936, 1940, 1945, 1955-1956, 1959-1960, 1964, 1966, 1983)]
August 14, 1945
Dr. Edward U. Condon
Westinghouse Research Laboratories
East Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I was sorry to learn that you were prevented at the last moment from going on the junket to Russia. I would have liked to go along, but I felt that my health hardly permitted me to take the chance of starting out on such a long trip when the arrangements for travel were so uncertain.
I am writing to you now to ask for information about the Westinghouse mass spectrograph. I have been thinking about the plans for the future research program of the Gates and Crellin Laboratories of Chemistry, and I believe that it would be very much worth while for us to have a mass spectrograph of the best possible design here. We have in mind a program of study of bond energy in molecules, similar to the work which Dr. Stevenson carried out when he was with you. We would also like to use the mass spectrograph in connection with a fundamental investigation of the kinetics of reaction and of the nature of intermediate complexes. A possible further use would be as a tool in isotope studies in chemistry and biology.
All of the work that we would do with the instrument would relate to pure science, and I think that I can say confidently that we would put the instrument to very good use. I would accordingly be glad to have detailed information about the Westinghouse mass spectrograph, and its price, and also whether there is any chance that our laboratories could get the instrument at an especially low price, our funds being at the present time rather limited.
- Letter from W.S. Hogkiss, Research Division of the General Printing Corporation, to Dr. George Wright, CIT, cc: Dr. Warren C. Lothrop and Mr. G.A. Richter. Sends him the results on reagents for calcium, at Warren's request. LP Safe: Drawer 3, Folder 3.016
- Meeting Minutes for the Committee on Government and Industrial Contracts. [Filed under California Institute of Technology: Research-related materials, 1944-1956: Box #1.028, Folder 28.2]
- Memo from E. R. Buchman, to LP. RE: CMR Chemistry 3. [Filed under LP Science: Assorted LP War Work, 1940-1946: Box #13.006 Folder #6.1]
- Memo from Edwin Buchman to LP RE: Informs him that Coryell has not yet decided which offer he will accept. Adds that UCLA would increase his salary, and suggests that perhaps Cal Tech do the same. [Letter from LP to Coryell June 7, 1945] [Filed under LP Correspondence: Box #68.2, file:(Coryell, Charles D., 1928, 1936-1941, 1945, 1948-1950, 1954, 1956-1958, 1960-1963, 1968-1970)]
- Writes cheque to "RB Haselden," $7.69. [Filed under LP Biographical: Business and Financial, Box 4.017, Folder 17.3]