Second Level Evaluation in the OSU Libraries Catalog
Let's use this record from the library catalog to look at how much information is available to you even before you go find the book.
Here are the most obvious things:
- The author is David Samuel Wilcove.
- It was published in 1999, by W. H. Freeman and Co. For this topic, is the date of publication important?
- The call number starts with QL84.2 which means this is a science oriented study. With a bit more investigation, you could find that QL is zoology. This means the book focuses exclusively on animals, confirming assumptions you may have made from the title.
Click the "More Info" tab to find some less obvious, but important aspects of this book.
- It is 339 pages and includes illustrations (from the abbreviation ill. in the DESCRIPT field).
- The book includes a bibliography and an index (from the BIBLIOG field). How might this be helpful to you? The bibliography is a list of the books and articles used by the author who published this book. An index at the back of a book can help you find out quickly if a specific topic is covered in the book and how thoroughly.
- This book is about endangered species and wildlife conservation in the United States (from the SUBJECTS field).
So, how can you use this information to find other useful materials?