Graduate Student Writing Resources
Graduate Writing Courses Taught on Campus
Many departments have journal clubs, where students discuss current journal articles, which can help with writing skills development.
Hopefully this list is incomplete. Please let us know of any additional thesis writing courses offered on campus.
Suggestions to Improve Your Writing
- Start or join a journal club or thesis-writing group
- Read 3 previously written theses from your department
- Maintain close contact with your advisor - it is the graduate student's right to request assistance and advice
- Make sure you are clear about your advisor's expectations
Thesis Writing Websites
Contact a Librarian for More Help
Contact your subject librarian to learn more about the research process at OSU Libraries and for more thesis writing suggestions.
The Writing Center
Sign up for half hour appointments to discuss your writing. Let them know ahead of time if you plan to use there services regularly so they can plan for you. Check their website for tips for a successful appointment and writing tips.
Books on Writing
If the book you want is currently checked out, repeat your search in the Summit Catalog to find a copy of the book.
Books for All Graduate Students:
- Fink, A. (2005). Conducting Research Literature Reviews: From the Internet to Paper. Thousand Oaks, Calif: Sage Publications. Q180.55.M4 F56 2005
- Mauch, J. E. (2003). Guide to the Successful Thesis and Dissertation: A Handbook for Students and Faculty. New York: M. Dekker. LB2369 .M377 2003
- Miller, J. I. (1987). The Thesis Writer's Handbook: A Complete One-source Guide for Writers of Research Papers. West Linn, Or: Alcove Pub. Co. LB2369 .M455 1987
- Mullen, C. A. (2006). A Graduate Student Guide: Making the Most of Mentoring. Lanham, Md: Rowman & Littlefield Education. LB2371.4 .M85 2006
- Rossman, M. H. (1995). Negotiating Graduate School: A Guide for Graduate Students. Thousand Oaks, Calif: Sage Publications. LB2371 .R67 1995
- Turabian, K. L. (2007). A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations: Chicago Style for Students and Researchers. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. LB2369 .T8 2007
Books for Science Writers:
- Council of Science Editors. (2006). Scientific Style and Format: The CSE Manual for Authors,editors, and Publishers. Reston, VA: Council of Science Editors in cooperation with the Rockefeller University Press. T11 .S386 2006
- Davis, M. (2005). Scientific Papers and Presentations. Burlington, Mass: Academic Press. T11 .D324 2005
- Goldbort, R. (2006). Writing for Science. New Haven: Yale University Press. T11.G626 2006
- Katz, M. J. (2006). From research to manuscript : a guide to scientific writing. The Netherlands: Springer. T11.K343 2006
- Kirkman, J. (2006). Punctuation Matters: Advice on Punctuation for Scientific and Technical Writing. London: Routledge. T11 .K55 2006
- Russey, W. E. (2006). How to Write a Successful Science Thesis: The Concise Guide for Students. Weinheim: Wiley-VCH. LB2369 .R87 2006
Books for Social Science Writers:
- Galvan, J. L. (1999). Writing Literature Reviews: A Guide for Students of the Social and Behavioral Sciences. Los Angeles, CA: Pyrczak. H61.8 .G31 1999
- Hailman, J. P. (2006). Planning, Proposing, and Presenting Science Effectively: A Guide for Graduate Students and Researchers in the Behavioral Sciences and Biology. Cambridge, U.K: Cambridge University Press. QH315 .H25 2006
- Hart, C. (1998). Doing a Literature Review: Releasing the Social Science Research Imagination. London: Sage Publications. H62 .H2566 1998
- Krathwohl, D. R. (2005). How to Prepare a Dissertation Proposal: Suggestions for Students in Education and the Social and Behavioral Sciences. Syracuse, N.Y: Syracuse University Press. LB2369 .K723 2005
- Meloy, J. M. (1994). Writing the Qualitative Dissertation: Understanding by Doing. Hillsdale, N.J: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates. LB2369 .M38 1994
- Smyth, T. R. (2004). The Principles of Writing in Psychology. Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire: Palgrave Macmillan. BF76.7 .S57 2004
Books for Engineering Writers:
- Michaelson, H.B. (1990). How to Write and Publish Engineering Papers and Reports. Phoenix, AZ: Oryx Press. T11. M418 1990
- Naoum, S. G. (2007). Dissertation Research and Writing for Construction Students. Oxford: Butterworth-Heinemann. LB2369 .N26 2007