E. E. Wilson Photographic Collection (P
ca. 1855-1960 (inclusive); ca. 1890-1930 (bulk)
2 cubic feet (approx. 1300 prints and 700 negatives)
Scope and Content Note
This personal collection of photographs assembled by
E. E. Wilson
includes images of Wilson, his family, and his friends; the Oregon
Agricultural College campus and buildings; OAC students and activities;
the Corvallis College building on 5th Street; Corvallis homes and
businesses, including the Carriage Factory and the Opera House; the
Panama Pacific Exposition in San Francisco (1915); wildlife and animals;
camping trips, hunts, and hikes in the mountains and at the Oregon
Coast; and Native Americans (Siletz). Many different photographers are
represented. Some of the 1890s images of Oregon Agricultural College
were taken by John Fulton; there are portraits from many different
studios in Corvallis (including L. Goldson and W. S.
Gardner), Albany, Portland and outside Oregon.
This collection includes a variety of forms, but consists predominantly
of b/w prints, many of which have accompanying original negatives. The
negatives are all either glass or nitrate-based. The glass negatives
include 315 4x5 plates, 161 5x7 plates, and 6 5x8 plates. Other notable
formats include several ambrotypes, daguerrotypes, tintypes, and
cyanotypes. Many of the prints are mounted.
Organization and Arrangement
Most of the images have been assigned individual item numbers (P101:1-
1297). Images transferred from the E.E. Wilson Papers have not
been assigned individual numbers.
Alumnus E. E. (Eddy Elbridge) Wilson was born in Corvallis in 1869 and
lived there until his death in 1961. He attended Oregon Agricultural
College and graduated in 1889 with the first class from the new campus.
He received a law degree from the University of Oregon in 1893 and
practiced law in Corvallis from then until 1925, when he became
President of the First National Bank of Corvallis.
Wilson served on the Oregon Agricultural College Board of Regents for 2
terms, 1906-1915 and 1925-1929, and was treasurer of the Memorial Union
Board of Governors from its founding in 1925 until
his death in 1961. He was a
pioneer in game preservation and member of the State Game Commission for
14 years. Wilson was an only child and never married. Wilson Hall on
the OSU campus and the E.E. Wilson Wildlife Refuge north of Corvallis
bear his name.
The E. E. Wilson Papers contain
materials pertaining to Wilson's personal
and professional activities including his involvement with the Board of
Regents, Memorial Union Board of Governors, and the State Game
Commission. Harriet's Photographic Collection (#805) includes many
prints of Wilson.
Prints - 5 boxes on Photograph Collection shelves
Glass Negatives - 2/1
Nitrate Negatives - LS 01.14.05.13
Return to Photographs Page