Jackson Weaver Ross, Jr. joined the Oregon State Extension Service as an Extension Seed Certification Specialist after graduating from Oregon State College in 1951 with a degree in Farm Crops. In 1952, he became the Jefferson County Extension Agent and held several positions with the Extension Service until his retirement in 1975, including Farm Crops Specialist, Area Supervisor, Community Development Specialist, and Assistant Director.
During his employment, Ross was awarded the Jefferson County Junior Chamber of Commerce Distinguished Service Award in 1955; he earned his Master Degree in Extension Administration from the University of Wisconsin, Madison in 1959.
Ross was born in Washington D.C. in 1920 to Agnes Arnold Ross and Jackson Weaver Ross, Sr. He grew up and worked there, marrying Del Slate in 1941 while working as a clerk for the FBI. The couple had their first daughter, Susan, while Ross was serving in the 70th Infantry Division in Europe in 1943. In 1946, the Rosses moved to Tangent, where they bought a farm and had another daughter, Nancy. Shortly thereafter, he enrolled in Oregon State College then sold his farm. After his graduation in 1951, the Rosses moved to Madras, where their third daughter, Peggy, was born. After his retirement in 1975, the Rosses moved to Corvallis. Del died in 1982 and Ross later remarried.